Choosing a criminal defense lawyer can be an overwhelming experience – how do you know that you have made the best choice? If you find yourself in need of a criminal defense lawyer in the Orlando area, you already know that you have hundreds of options to choose from.
So how do you know who is the best fit for you and your particular needs? This selection process could be the single most important decision you ever make in your life – after all, your criminal defense attorney could be the only thing standing between you and a lengthy jail term, a massive fine or even worse.
If you are currently looking for the best Orlando criminal defense lawyer, here are five tips that can simplify this process and help you to choose the best representation for your specific case.
- Determine the area of criminal law applicable to your case – Are you being charged with assault? Tax evasion or fraud? Breaking and entering? Drug possession charges? Each of these areas demands a lawyer who specializes in the particular area of law that fits your current situation.
- Search for an Orlando area lawyer who has the expertise you need – Make sure that you assess their biographical information, including their own website, but also on legal review sites and the sites belonging to applicable local legal organizations.
- Ask your friends and family for a recommendation – Does anyone you know have experience going through the criminal defense system in the same (or a similar) area? Ask your friends and family members if they can recommend a lawyer – a personal endorsement is worth a million web reviews.
- Arrange a meeting with your short list – Once you have narrowed down your selection to just a few Orlando lawyers, you should arrange to briefly meet with them to determine who you get along with the best. How is their customer service in person? Does their office feel welcoming and inviting? Do you think that they understand your personal needs enough in order to be able to represent you effectively? These are all important considerations when hiring your criminal defense lawyer.
- Consult your state bar association – As a final step before you sign any paperwork and officially hire your representation, you should always consult your state bar association in order to confirm that the criminal defense lawyer is in good standing and has no past or current complaints lodged against them. As a final safe guard, this will help you to prevent hiring a lawyer that does not have your best interests at heart.
Once you have gone through these five steps you can be assured that you have chosen the best lawyer for your specific needs. We wish you the best of luck in your upcoming case – and know that your odds are even better now that you have selected the best lawyer possible.